HART COUNTY RECRATION ADVISORY BOARD BY-LAWS
Adopted by the Hart County BOC December 10, 2009
Article I: Purpose of the Organization
The Purpose of this Organization is:
- To advise and make recommendations to the Recreation Director and/or county officials on recreation and park matters.
- To seek the development of a broad variety of programs, facilities, and services to meet the total needs and demands utilizing the total resources of the community.
- To inform and educate the public about the importance of and the need for recreation programs, facilities, and services.
- To strive to involve the citizens in the planning and development of the recreation system and identify local needs.
- To establish and maintain an effective public relations program utilizing all appropriate communications media.
- To advise on financial planning and assist in securing adequate budget support.
- To provide a close liaison and coordination with other agencies, such as municipalities, Board of Education, YMCA, Little League, etc., to ensure total cooperative community effort to provide the most effective and economical recreation services possible.
- To evaluate the department’s programs, facilities, services, and relationships periodically to assure that its goals and objectives are being achieved.
- To provide encouragement, support, and work in partnership with the Recreation Director to provide a team approach to solving departmental problems.
Article II: Membership
The Recreation Advisory Board shall consist of seven (7) members approved by the Hart County Board of Commissioners. Members shall serve without pay. Terms of office shall be two (2) years.
By November 15th of each year, the Recreation Advisory Board shall submit in writing, a recommendation to the Board of Commissioners for appointments to the Recreation Advisory Board. The recommendation may be for a new appointment or for reappointment of the present member.
In the event of a vacancy, the Board may nominate an individual to the Board of Commissioners to complete the term of the vacancy or receive applications from the general public, then make a recommendation to the Board of Commissioners.
Members are asked to submit a letter of resignation to the Advisory Board when he/she wishes to end his/her term on the Board.
Article III: Officers
The Chairperson shall preside at meetings of the Recreation Advisory Board, appoint committees, and perform all duties generally pertaining to the Office of Chairperson.
The Vice-Chairperson shall perform these duties in the absence of the Chairperson.
The Secretary shall keep a record of the meetings of the Recreation Advisory Board, record all official actions, and have custody of its books and records, give notices to the members of meetings and perform other duties as may be assigned by the Recreation Advisory Board. Unless unable to perform the duties, the Recreation Director shall serve as the Secretary.
Article IV: Meetings
At the annual meeting held in January, the members of the Recreation Advisory Board shall elect from its membership a Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, and Secretary (if Director is unable to perform duties).
The Recreation Advisory Board shall meet on a regular basis and meetings are subject to the Georgia Open Meetings Law.
Special meetings may be called by the Chairperson or a majority of board members at any time deemed necessary or desirable.
The absence for three (3) consecutive regular meetings of any member of the Recreation Advisory Board shall constitute a vacancy on the Board. The Board of Commissioners shall be notified accordingly in writing and a replacement recommended by the Recreation Advisory Board.
A majority of Recreation Advisory Board shall at all times constitute a quorum.
Article V: Responsibilities
The Recreation Advisory Board is responsible for advising and making recommendations on all recreation matters.
The Recreation Advisory Board shall operate under the adopted by-laws as approved by the Hart County Board of Commissioners.
The Recreation Advisory Board shall prepare and recommend, to the Board of Commissioners for approval, regulations for the proper use and conduct of public recreation facilities for Hart County.
The Recreation Advisory Board shall advise in the development of recreation programs for all citizens of Hart County.
The Recreation Advisory Board shall approve the proposed recreation budget before being submitted to the County Administrator by the Recreation Director.
The Recreation Advisory Board shall review the Recreation Department Budget quarterly and advise the Recreation Director and County Administrator on matters concerning the parks finances.
The Recreation Advisory Board shall make a full and complete annual report to the Hart County Board of Commissioners and make such other reports as may be required by the Hart County Board of Commissioners. The Recreation Advisory Board, with the help of the Recreation Director, shall be responsible for the preparation of these reports. The annual report is to accompany the proposed Recreation Department budget request.
The Recreation Advisory Board shall advise the Recreation Director on any rule violation when requested by the Recreation Director. The Recreation Director shall consider this advice when making his/her decision on the matter. An appeal of the Recreation Director’s decision may be made to the Recreation Advisory Board. The Recreation Advisory Board will hear the appeal and give its decision to the County Administrator, who after consulting with the Board of Commissioners, has the final say on any matter.
This Recreation Advisory Board will supersede all other boards and interest groups in the recreation department. It will be the duty of all other boards and interest groups to coordinate their activities through the Recreation Director and the Recreation Advisory Board.
Article VI: Amendments
Proposed amendments to these by-laws must be submitted in writing at a regularly scheduled meeting. They cannot be voted on until the next regularly scheduled meeting or a subsequent meeting.
An amendment cannot become effective until reviewed and approved by the Hart County Board of Commissioners.